Our Planet : What Can I Do? May 2019
G e n e r a l i d e a s
Reduction of Plastics and Packaging
Refills & Reuse : Re-use plastic/glass/paper/plastic bags /boxes. Refill wherever available.
Make/buy produce bags (see ‘at home’ section )
Alternatives to plastic in freezer https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/how-freeze-food-without-plastic.html
Stainless steel airtight, leakproof (and expensive) containers http://www.boobalou.co.uk/16cm-airtightleakproof-foodstorage-
container.html & https://www.healwithfood.org/food-storage/freezer-safe-glass-containers-no-plastic-lids.php
Commercial site with moisturiser in cardboard container & more https://www.peacewiththewild.co.uk
Guardian article on some ways to reduce plastics use. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/
Out walking, take bag and pick up rubbish.
At Home –
Produce bags: make https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/how-make-your-own-re-usable-fruit-and-vegetable-bags/
Buy produce bags https://www.peacewiththewild.co.uk/product-category/on-the-go/produce-bags/
Make own yoghurt, make hummus / other dips
Beeswax wrappers in place of cling film * Make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkRoh1pQoks
Beeswax supplies https://www.livemoor.co.uk
Wipes * Make /Buy https://www.adaptnetwork.com/veganadventurist/11-environmentally-friendly-alternatives-to-wet-wipes/
Plastic bag storage alternatives https://www.adaptnetwork.com/veganadventurist/alternatives-to-plastic-bags/
Our How To sheet offers more details of some of these ideas.
Less Palm oil
Complex and important topic as growing palm oil decimates rain forests which are vital for climate health
Packaging labels can hide palm oil under ‘vegetable oil’ use . “Sustainable” is not always quite that..
Yet sustainable palm oil is a viable alternative for some products
Brief article laying out some of the main issues around Palm Oil https://www.theguardian.com/
Health food shops /health food supermarket sections most likely to have palm oil free products
Focus Organics, Halesworth
Cupboard Love at local stalls / online delivery https://www.cupboardlove.shop
Make own biscuits / oatcakes / cakes
Waitrose own brand oatcakes have no palm oil
Co-op Truly Irresistible range have butter not palm oil
Ethical Consumer website gives supermarkets and products are palm free/use sustainable palm oil
Soap http://caurnie.com in Scotland (nettle soap especially good for people with skin reactions)
Aleppo Soap for washing body & hair – suppliers online . https://www.aleppo.dk
* Re – Use
Charity shops. Reuse fabrics. Scrap paper for lists from old / envelopes
Re use envelopes with stick on labels
Mend, share, re use, give away
Freecycle website https://groups.freecycle.org/group/IpswichUK/posts/all
Transport & Air Pollution
* C ar share.
* Slower speed in the car. e.g. 50mph instead of 70mph can reduce carbon footprint by a third.
* Shut off engine when parked. Correct tyre pressure. Right gear. Reduce air conditioning.
* Remove roof rack. Reduce weight. Plan route. Fuel efficient car.
Electric or hybrid cars
Consider if other means than flying are feasible and if not, consider offsetting flights. Article on offsetting
* Energy : save energy, save money & help save our planet
* * Turn kettle off as soon as it boils. Boil exact amount needed. If choice of temp – lower temp good for
herbal tea / coffee. (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/feb/09/energy-bills-are-your-cuppas-costingmore-
* Turn off TV standby at night. Turn off at wall. Smaller TV, less energy used.
* Charge phones & tablets for just time it takes, in daytime so can see when charged.
* Switch off all wall plugs not in use. Lights on only when in use.
Seek out eco models of white goods when next purchasing.
* Defrost freezer regularly.
* Radiators down / off in unused rooms, doors closed.
* Less /no ironing.
* Reduce water temperature and/heating temperature ( excluding elderly, sick /very young)
Consider switching to an eco friendly supplier
* Current thinking on fossil fuels, ground source and electricity preferable to gas boilers https://
* Shorter / less showers. Fix a shower flow regulator, save water (shower feels the same)
* Less /smaller baths
* Economise on water when cleaning teeth (other than under full open tap)
* Dry clothes outside if possible. Use less / no tumble dryer
Garden watering, Rain butts. If upstairs an over-bath shower can take hose pipe & syphon the water onto garden.
Reduce Water Pollution
Microfibers from synthetic textiles are making their way from washing machines into rivers and oceans
one solution is a guppy bag http://guppyfriend.com/en/
Minimise chemicals in bathroom & cleaning products. Everything goes into water system, sea, wildlife, us.
Bees : Bee box just for the bees (not about honey harvesting) https://gardenersbeehive.com ( Essex)
Make Bee box for solitary bee boxes https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway/features/how-tobuild-
Plant bee friendly flowers. https://friendsoftheearth.uk/bees/beefriendly-plants-every-season
Bee keeping / log hives / https://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org https://www.learningfromthebees.org
Bird boxes https://www.wildaboutbirds.co.uk (Wild About Birds – Theberton)
Minsmere Bird Reserve https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/minsmere/
Nature conservation https://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/volunteer
Joanna Macey: The Work that Reconnects Community Network : https://workthatreconnects.org
Polly Higgins : making ecocide a crime in law : https://eradicatingecocide.com
– Consider following a more / all * Vegan or Plant Based diet .. one of best things we can do for our planet.
– Environmental friendly food calculator https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46459714
– Guardian article on reducing carbon emissions https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/
– Greta Thunberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn8R_XqjjI0&app=desktop
& in the UK : https://www.fridaysforfuture.org
– National organisation for nature & people Greenlight trust http://www.greenlighttrust.org
– Let nature heal climate and biodiversity crises, say campaigners https://www.theguardian.com/
– Project Drawdown https://drawdown.ecochallenge.org
– Weekly email Unearthed https://secure.unearthed.greenpeace.org/page/s/subscribe-weekly
We are a small group of people in coastal central Suffolk UK wanting to make our contribution to
the health of our planet.
We have compiled four lists which can be downloaded at
– Short Intro List to introduce the idea of ideas and local resources, easy to print out and
– Local Resource List similar but longer, for our own area which is IP15 IP16 IP17
– General List with national and international resources.
– How To sheet with details of some of the ideas to make at home.
Please join us and bring ideas to the list. We aim to be non commercial and offer constructive,
practical, everyday actions. We aim to keep the list updated several times a year and distribute it
through email, personal networks, local groups, shops, local papers, social media. We try to stay
current and seek to be accurate but cannot guarantee either of these. Please help share the lists
around and help keep updated.
Print / distribute the Short Local Resource List to your own contacts, groups, classes.
We would welcome people to use any of the structure/format/ ideas/ information to collate their
own resource list for own locality.
“ People won’t change unless they care”
(Tim Mustill, documentary director ‘Humpback Whales. A Detective Story’)